A whiff of the south and the mild aroma of the Tyrolean Air-dried Ham make you feel like holidays - a special treat for family and friends.approx. 85 minutes
For the pastry:
200 g flour
100 g cold butter
1 egg yolk
3-5 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
750 g onions
100 g HANDL TYROL Tiroler Speck PGI Loin
2 tbsp butter
2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs
200 ml milk
100 ml cream
Walnuts (roughly chopped)
Flour for the work surface
Oil for frying and greasing
4 small quiche dishes (approx. 15 cm)
- For the quiche dough, sift the flour, cut the cold butter into pieces and work quickly into a smooth dough with a pinch of salt and some water. Depending on the flour, add more or less butter or water. Wrap the dough in cling film and leave to rest for approx. 20 min. in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile, peel and halve the onions and cut into thin strips. Fry the strips of Tiroler Speck PGI Loin until crispy. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Season with pepper and a little salt and leave to cool.
- Grease the quiche dishes. Roll out the dough, cut into four and lay in the dishes. Press down on the edges and cut away any excess. Coat the bottom with a few breadcrumbs.
- Whisk together milk, cream and eggs. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Spoon the onion and ham mix into the dishes and top with the egg and milk mixture.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (200°C) on the bottom shelf for approx. 30 min. Serve hot, garnished with walnuts.
Cooking with Speck
Did you know that besides the Loin, there are also four other types of Tiroler Speck PGI (Protected Geographical Indication)? And HANDL TYROL is even the only producer of all five types. Take a closer look and explore the world of our Tiroler Speck PGI!Tiroler Speck PGI